Connect – February 2016

BOLD Grants & Blended Learning

Each year, the Provost’s Office provides several grants designed to encourage and support faculty in their work here at Wake Forest. The Office of Online Education partners with the Provost to offer one such grant: The Blended and Online Learning Development, or BOLD, Grant. The BOLD grant is designed to provide faculty with both support and compensation in developing online or blended courses in support of the undergraduate mission.

Connect IconOne of the 2015 BOLD grants went to Saylor Breckenridge for his proposal to blend his social statistics course. Saylor recently offered up the following reflections on the BOLD Grant process and his now blended course.

I was intrigued by blended course structures and thought that it could be an asset to my Social Statistics course in which there is a lab focused on learning statistical software. I thought that moving that portion of the class online might be a particularly effective technique for engaging with students on these materials. [After receiving] a BOLD grant in the summer of 2015, I immediately began working with the Office of Online Education. The collaboration with this office has opened my eyes to ways that online pedagogy can be an excellent means of teaching and working with students. Their skills have provided me with excellent training and leadership towards understanding techniques distant from the idea of merely video-ing my lectures towards creating new content that enhances my class. Blended learning has become a notable asset to my Social Statistics course providing me with the ability to construct lessons about data and software that students can access repeatedly as they work on assignments and long-term projects.

To hear more about several other courses that were developed by faculty with the 2014 BOLD (then: STEP II) Grants, we invite you to attend the Faculty and Student Panel Discussion on Online Summer College Courses (February 16th).