Learn – March 2016
March 17th, 2016
While ZSR hosts a variety of journals designed to assist faculty and staff alike with improving instruction across all types of courses, two that we would like to highlight here include the Teaching Professor and Online Cl@ssroom. Both of these publications can be accessed through ZSR’s journal search page. The Teaching Professor is designed, “to provide ideas and insight to educators who are passionate about teaching.” Faculty Focus is a companion blog that can be accessed freely online. Online Cl@ssroom is another newsletter from the same publisher that focuses on teaching and learning in online and blended environments. Two recent articles that connect to our current topic include one on screencasting and another on videos in the blended classroom.
Note: Subscription access to ZSR Journals may require VPN login from off-campus locations (learn more).
Other Learning Opportunities:
Articles & Websites
- Guo, P. J., Kim, J., & Rubin, R. (2014, March). How video production affects student engagement: An empirical study of mooc videos. In Proceedings of the first ACM conference on Learning@ scale conference (pp. 41-50). ACM.
- He, Y., Swenson, S., & Lents, N. (2012). Online video tutorials increase learning of difficult concepts in an undergraduate analytical chemistry course. Journal of Chemical Education, 89(9), 1128-1132.
- Lloyd, S. A., & Robertson, C. L. (2012). Screencast tutorials enhance student learning of statistics. Teaching of Psychology, 39(1), 67-71.
- Moore, M. G. (1993). Theory of transactional distance. Theoretical principles of distance education, 22.
- O’Malley, C., Langton, S., Anderson, A., Doherty-Sneddon, G., & Bruce, V. (1996). Comparison of face-to-face and video-mediated interaction. Interacting with computers, 8(2), 177-192.
- Effective Educational Video – From the Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching and Learning
- Lilly International Conference – Bethesda, MD, June 2-5, 2016
- Lilly National Conference – Asheville, NC, August 103, 2016
- Annual Teaching and Learning Conference – Elon, NC, August 11, 2016
- The Teaching Professor Technology Conference – Atlanta, GA, Sept. 30 – Oct. 1, 2016
- Online Learning Consortium Accelerate Conference – Orlando, FL, Nov. 16-18, 2016
- Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy – Blacksburg, VA, Feb. 10-12, 2016
TLC Workshops on campus
- New Spaces, New Opportunities – March 23, 2016
- Maximizing Student Performance by Providing Clear Expectations – March 29, 2016
- New Spaces, New Opportunities – April 6, 2016
Online Learning Consortium Workshops
- Exploring Interactive Video Tools – March 30th to April 1st, 2016
- Creating YouTube Videos for Teaching and Learning – April 11th – April 17th, 2016
Teaching Professor Newsletter
- Getting Started with Blended Learning Videos
- PechaKucha and Ignite: Formats that Improve Student Presentations
- Lecture Capture: An Analysis
Online Cl@ssroom Newsletter
- Screencasting Options for Teachers
- Google Forms for the online Classroom – This article recommends several uses of Google forms, one of which involves using it between modular bits of video to create interaction.
- Creating Accessible Video for the Online Classroom
- Creating Student Engagement with Your Videos
Category: Newsletter | Tag: Accessibility, articles, Conferences, engagement, interactive, journals, lecture capture, OLC, online classroom, pecha kucha, screencast, teaching professor, TLC, video, Workshops, ZSR